Sunday, October 19, 2008

I virtually do

I really enjoy my internet friends. Blogs, message boards, whatever, I truly value my relationships formed online. Some people might think that's weird, but I think it's fabulous.

8 years and 8 months ago, my sister convinced me to meet an online friend in person. Yesterday, my online friend and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary.

Crazy? Maybe. I like crazy. It seems to work for me.

Online is where I find people who can relate to my internet addiction. It is where I can discuss controversial topics without alienating (many) people, rave about my favorite shows with people who actually watch the same thing, get advice from people who don't worry about offending me (much), and babble without feeling like I'm monopolizing the conversation.

It is also the place where I managed to find someone who will listen to my 15 minute explanation of how my mind could wander from the latest episode of 17 Kids And Counting to wondering whether his boss's wife got our mailing address through company information or through her sister-in-law, AKA my mom. I'll just ignore the fact that he was trapped in the car at the time.

It's been a good 8 years. I'm sure someone, somewhere, owes me money. We've totally kicked the odds' asses.

Kids, don't try this at home.

4 comments:

kristin said...

oh, how sweet.

I wanna know more!

Congrats!

PearlsOfSomething said...

Lol. Okay. That first meeting was a double date. I probably wouldn't have gone otherwise. We are 99% positive that my sister's date was/is gay.

I almost decided not to have a second date. I think I only went on a second date b/c he was a good kisser.

I know this because we spent our first date totally making out in the middle of a club.

Shut up. I was 23, so it was acceptable. Shut up, it was!

I have most of our emails printed out and saved in a folder. Somewhere. He lied about his height.

Lorrie Veasey said...

First of all: LOVE YOUR BLOG DESIGN. Next thing you know i will be cutting my hair like yours and trying to dress the same way so be careful.

Secondly: Lying about your height is much better than lying about your length. I'm just sayin.

PearlsOfSomething said...

Oh, don't you patronize me, Lorrie! Besides, you'd have to *stop cutting your hair.

And, um... I'll just say you raise an interesting point.